Lonley Planet has named the Northern Ireland’s capital and its nearby glorious coast as no. 1 on the Best in Travel list for 2018.
So put Belfast on your travel plans an enjoy world-renowned restaurants, historical experiences and friendly people. Also visit the Causeway Coast – also known as the Causeway Coastal Route – and explore its magnificent natural wonders. Some of the world’s finest whiskeys are also there.
Here are some interesting facts about the area:
- Belfast is the city where the Titanic was designed, built and launched. The locals are known to say: “It was fine when she left here”
- There’s a critically acclaimed culinary scene playing out in Belfast. Try the Michelin-starred Ox and Eipic for fine dining; enjoy a more relaxed vibe at James Street South, Town and The Muddler’s Club, or get your caffeine fix at Established.
- Embark on an urban adventure with a difference by hopping on a Black Taxi Tour. Unique to Belfast, this tour is run by people that know the place best and takes you into the city’s past with visits to the political murals.
- Hugging the Atlantic coast from Derry~Londonderry to Belfast – or vice versa – the Causeway Coastal Route is studded with sandy beaches, fishing villages, gorse-covered valleys and fuchsia-edged clifftop paths.
- On the Causeway Coast, check out the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge, suspended almost 100ft/30m above the sea, it has linked tiny Carrick Island and the County Antrim mainland.